See below for suggested readings and websites in various topics, arranged alphabetically (still partially under construction). “Suggested” doesn’t mean that I necessarily agree with or endorse all of the content of any linked website, article, story, etc
- The California State PTA has great information about the new accountability program in our state, which combines increased local control of funding, and local accountability plans.
California (education policy, politics, news)
- Greatness by Design – report on the teaching profession in California
- Vergara lawsuit (my blog posts from InterACT)
- Accomplished California Teachers report on teacher evaluation (2010; PDF)
- California Teachers Association Teacher Evaluation Framework
- My blog posts on the Vergara lawsuit (from InterACT)
- Suit against teachers unions isn’t about free speech but silencing members – Michael Hiltzik, L.A. Times, regarding Bain v. CTA, (5/8/15)
- Promoting Quality Teaching: New Approaches to Compensation and Career Pathways [PDF] – report I co-authored as part of Accomplished California Teachers.
- Greatness by Design – report on the teaching profession in California.
National Board Certification
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- Understanding National Board Certification (Ellis, Barnhart, Milch)
- Engaging Parents in School – blog and book by Larry Ferlazzo
- Tom Torlakson – re-elected as State Superintendent for Public Instruction, Nov. 2014
Professional Development (including EdCamp)
Professional Learning Communities/Networks (PLN/PLC)
- CA Department of Education information about testing
- Fair Test – The National Center for Fair & Open Testing (FairTest) works to end the misuses and flaws of standardized testing and to ensure that evaluation of students, teachers and schools is fair, open, valid and educationally beneficial.
- California Teachers Association (our NEA-affiliated state association)
- California Federation of Teachers (our AFT-affiliated state association)
- CalTURN – our state affiliate of the Teachers Union Reform Network (note: I am on the CalTURN steering committee and serve as the virtual community organizer)